The intellectual property center was established with a decision of the Academic board of the University of National and World Economy on 01.09.2003. It was officially opened by the President of the Republic of Bulgaria Mr. Georgi Parvanov, the Minister of Education of the Republic of Bulgaria Mr. Igor Damyanov and the Director General of the World Intellectual Property Organization Dr. Kamil Idris.
The Center is situated on 700 sq. m. with the following facilities:
- one academic room with 40 places, which is equipped with a multimedia projector and other technical equipment necessary for the education of students;
- one conference hall with 60 places, 12 of which are equipped with high speed Internet connection for portable computers, and 2 rooms for simultaneous translation;
- a publishing sector, which is equipped with all the necessary facilities for transforming the information form different carriers and providing materials for all participants in the events, organized in the Center;
- two administrative rooms with four working places, equipped with desktop computers and other facilities for the administration and management of the Center;
- one room for working workshops and sessions;
The Center works as a information and consultancy center, offering services for researchers, students, academics and all interesting parties from business organizations and non-government and non-profit organizations, in the field of intellectual property. The main goal of the Center is to deliver information about:
- the intellectual property system;
- the possibilities for protection of results of research and development activities as intellectual property objects;
- the possibilities of economic realization of scientific results;
- the new trends in the development of the intellectual property system;
- the national and international initiatives in the field of intellectual property.
There is an agreement with the World Intellectual Property Organization for the Center to be developed as a branch of the WIPO Academy, according to which the Academy will provide programs for education in intellectual property in a master’s degree. This education is going to be organized in distance learning courses.